Monday, September 15, 2008

Warnie coming back??



Indian tour sparks Warne's comeback speculation


Sep 13 (IANS) With the forthcoming Indian tour exposing Australia's inexperience in the spin department, speculation of Shane Warne's potential comeback before next year's Ashes has once again gained momentum with the spin-wizard himself not completely ruling out the possibility of his return to the side.

'In my life I've learnt never to say never,' Warne, who would turn 40 by next year's Ashes, was Saturday quoted as saying in the Courier Mail.

'But at the moment I'm very happily retired and I'm very happy with my life.'

Retired Warne might be happy with his business life and playing professional snooker but the selection of uncapped spinners Bryce McGain and Jason Krejza for the four-match Test series in India next month has once again exposed the void of an experienced spinner in the Australian side.

After leading Rajasthan Royals to winning the inaugural Indian Premier League (IPL), Warne had hinted at the possibility of a sensational comeback for the Ashes next year if his team asks for his presence.

'If Australia really needed me and there was no one else around and ricky thought I could do the job, you would weigh up the options. If I wanted to keep playing I don't think there is an issue with me being the No 1 spinner and performing,' Warne had said in May after the Rajasthan Royals won the IPL title.

No comments: